We had a family BBQ and I need to whip together something fairly quick and simple.
I had a loaf tin, walnuts and coffee. All the main things to make a coffee and walnut cake loaf I guess…
2 cups self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup vegan butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp flaxseed + 9 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 1/4 cup plant milk (soy milk)
1 tbsp instant coffee 1tbsp boiling water and 1 tbsp cold water
2 tbsp vegan spread
1 tsp instant coffee 1tsp cold water 1tsp boiling water
6 tbsp Icing sugar
1 tsp Vanilla paste
- Turn your oven to pre heat on fan assisted to 180°C
- In a bowl, add the sugar, vanilla extract and butter and mix together in a bowl till it creams together.
- While they are mixing together I got the flaxseed and water mix ready and soaking, ready to add later.
- In another bowl, add all the dry ingredients (self raising flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda) and sieve out any lumps.
- Add the dry mix to the butter and sugar. Add the milk in slowly until it is smooth and you have a cake batter.
- Add the flax seed to the cake batter, along with the instant coffee. Mix thoroughly.
- In a blender, coarsely grind up the walnuts and add to the batter mix.
- Grease and line your loaf tin and fill with the cake batter.
- Pop in the oven for 40-45 mins. Use a metal screwer to make sure the cake is fully cooked by poking it into the centre of the cake and seeing if it comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven. Allow to cool for around 20 mins before removing it for the tin.
- To make the butter cream, leave the vegan spread out for a little while to soften. This will make it easier work when mixing.
- Add the icing sugar to the butter, mix until it’s fully combined.
- Add you vanilla paste and instant coffee and mix.
- Once the cake is fully cooled down, spread on the top of the sponge and garnish with walnuts!
This cake was fully finished and enjoyed by a mix of omni, veggie and vegan family.